Home » Bug Out Bag
Building a Bug Out Bag
There is a great page on building a Bug Out Bag. To summarize the basic idea of a Bug Out Bag: It is a small to mid sized bag that is pre-filled with whatever YOU feel you might need in case of emergency. It is kept in a location that is easily accessible and typically close to an entrance. Some people even store them outside the home or have a couple–one at work and one at home. Another idea is that some people just store them in their car. That way, pretty much wherever they go, they have their bug out bag with them.
A bag shouldn’t have everything in the world stored in it. It needs to be a comfortable bag that you can carry comfortably for several days or even weeks. That means it should be as light as possible. It should have, at a minimum, some of the following items:
- Some type of self defense protection. This can range from pepper spray to a knife all the way to a pistol or small rifle.
- Some basic foodstuffs (about 3 days to a week should be enough)
- Some water but even just as important a way to purify more water. And maybe even a tool to collect water (such as a small plastic bag or just a plastic sheet to catch rainwater).
- A basic to much better than basic medical kit. Add any special medicines that you or your loved ones may need on a regular basis.
- Warm clothes—not too many, but enough to keep you alive in the most harsh conditions you can imagine in your area.
- Food catching or collecting implements–this could be your self defense weapon in the case of a pistol or rifle or it could be fishing tackle or even a small snare kit. Just make sure you actually can successfully use whatever you put in there to catch food.
- A little cash–I like to keep it in the form of a few silver coins or even a small gold coin or two.
That should be enough to at least get you started. Go make a bug out bag today and put it where you can get it and go in an emergency. You can buy one from Amazon that is premade, but remember that it isn’t personalized to you and your area–and it won’t have any of number 1, 5, 6, or 7 in it. And the other things may need to be adjusted also. I find it easier just to start from scratch and get everything in separate pieces.
Tags: bug out bag